If you have time, energy and the desire to build and maintain your own website, there are obvious advantages to this. However, if you don’t have time or energy or a desire, you may want to consider all your options before leaping in any direction. We’ll try to breakdown the benefits and drawbacks of your options.
Pay someone to build and maintain your site
- This is likely the option that gives you the best chance of getting what you want.
- There is obviously a cost involved but if something goes wrong, you have an expert at the other end of the phone or email to fix it.
- They can do things that you don’t even know is possible. There is a saying that says “you don’t know what you don’t know”. This example couldn’t be more true here.
- As time and trends change, your website designer can keep you up-to-date. This is particularly important regarding security issues.
- The company you choose will likely maintain a backup and if a problem arises, they will likely know before you do. You may not even know of any issues.
- If you can think it, someone can build it.
Pay someone to build your site and you maintain it
- Similar to the option above, you can have a professional build the site and turn over maintenance to you.
- You could have the site built and then not make changes to it (not recommended).
- You’ll need to devote enough time to learning a new system.
- You can make changes on your time-frame, including preparing a page for publication to be posted on a specific day at a specific time.
- You could mess something up and be stuck trying to fix it. You could reach out to the company that designed it, but it could end up costing you more to repair it that to have them maintain it in the first place.
Use an online site building that you can maintain
- There are several self-building sites out there where you can use a template to design, but you’re likely limited to designs, photos and content options.
- This may be the most appealing initially, but you may find you spend a lot of money for not a lot of return.
- You have very little control or options with design.
Build and Maintain your own site
- This one allows the most control and is the one we like the most.
- You are able to make changes immediately and can make adjustments as you need.
- If you use a platform such as WordPress, there are countless options for adding features.
- If you think of something you want to add, there is probably a way to do it…but, you’ll likely have to figure it out.
- This is easily the one that will take the most knowledge and time. Not just time building it, but time maintaining it.
- As updates come available, you’re responsible for ensuring they get updated.
- If something goes wrong, it is on you to figure it out.
- Since you built it, you’ll likely have at least a base knowledge on where to start.
- The cost here is minimal; aside from your time. Cost include domain name, hosting site and any security features you get through your hosting company.